Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Drawn to the nude

Lola,
Whenever I wear this dress, women are commenting on it all day. Last time I wore it to work sweater-less (it's ruffled at the sleeveless shoulder and a-line to knee) the attention included that of the CFO when I passed her in the bathroom -- she loved it -- and this woman wears nothing but black suits and structures her hair into what can only be described as origami. 

Considering this piece was $17 on consignment, no-name and plain, this shocked me. It got me thinking. There's something about the color nude. Especially in such a forth-coming portion as a dress. It's honest. It's brave. It's sexy in that its suggestive of skin without showing it. It can do a few great things:
1. lengthen (lengthen, lengthen, lengthen...)
2. exaggerate complexion in a complimentary way (disclaimer: beware the "wash-out!")
3. set you up for ultra high contrast
And a little whimsy and texture goes a long way.
Emmy

1 comment: